Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Quick hits from the AAN 2008
1. Mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept) was used to treat 25 patients with NMO and NMO "spectrum" disorders and was effective overall
2. DPB1*0501 allele was represented in Asian NMO but not Caucasian NMO
3. 15 individuals in 7 families were found with familial NMO, a small number suggesting a complex genetic susceptibility
4. Japanese opticospinal MS had 2 groups: one antibody positive and one negative to aquaphorin. The negative group had a marked peripheral Th1 shift.
5. 47 patients (1.3% of MS sample) were found in a study in Turkey
6. Fatigue is less common in NMO than in MS between attacks
7. Four patients with cervical spinal stenosis were misdiagnosed with NMO. They all were antibody negative and did not respond to immune modulation but did to surgery.
8. In 2 Italian patients, celiac disease may have triggered NMO
9. In a Chinese study of NMO patients, brain lesions were common.
10. In Japan, brain lesions developed AFTER starting interferon B1b in NMO in 2 patients.
Posted by Neurodoc at 2:34 PM